The Paubox Breach Report analyzed HIPAA breach reporting submitted to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in November to analyze the types of breaches of unsecured protected health information (PHI) affecting 500 or more people.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked the highest with an astounding 2,687,629 people’s PHI hacked or stolen in November.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 355,615 people breached.
- Desktop Computer breaches came in third with 40,000 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Laptop ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in November with 4,458 breaches.
- Other was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 5,000.
- Electronic Medical Record was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 14,404.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot as the most common breach type in November with 10 reported breaches. Email has taken the top rank in this category for 8 of the past 9 months.
- Paper/Films ranked as the second most common breach type with 7 breaches.
- Network Server came in third with 5 reported breaches in November.
Business Associate AccuDoc Solutions, Inc. suffered a HIPAA breach that affected over 2.6M people. It was classified in the Network Server category by HHS. This breach propelled Network Server as a category into the top spot for Breaches Ranked by People Affected.
Email maintained the top spot as the most common Breach vector in November. It has ranked first in this category for eight of the past nine months.
Email Breaches are far and away the most common type of HIPAA breaches in 2018.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in November 2018.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox Encrypted Email. Start your free trial today.