HIPAA Breach Report for October 2019
by Hoala Greevy Founder CEO of Paubox
The Paubox Breach Report analyzed HIPAA breach reporting submitted to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in September to analyze the types of breaches of unsecured protected health information (PHI) affecting 500 or more people.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked in first place with 767,659 people’s PHI affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 109,198 people breached.
- Desktop Computer breaches came in third with 10,225 people having their PHI breached.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email retained the top spot as the most common breach type in this month’s report with 12 reported breaches.
- Network Server came in second with 7 breaches.
- Paper/Films came in third with 5 reported breaches.
Network Server took the top spot in the HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected category largely due to the following two breaches:
- Sarrell Dental reported a breach affecting 391,472 people’s PHI
- Premier Family Medical suffered a breach affecting 320,000 people
For the 15th time in the past 18 months, Email has ranked first in the HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence category.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in September 2019.