The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in January 2021.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network server breaches ranked first (as it has for many months) with 646,874 people affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with 248,163 people affected.
- Paper/films ranked third with 15,316 people affected.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email breaches were the most common vector type, with 12 breaches in January.
- Network server breaches were the second most common with 7 total breaches last month.
- Paper/films had 3 breaches in January and were the third most common breach type.
TakeawaysAs we have seen in many previous months, data breaches via networker servers continue to affect the most people, and email breaches continue to be a common attack vector. Hendrick Health had the largest breach in January 2021 with 640,436 people affected via a network server. Roper St. Francis Healthcare had the second-largest breach with 189,761 people affected via email.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals, as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in January 2021.