By the numbers:
- The Maui Strong Fund was created by the Hawaii Community Foundation. Its primary purpose is to support communities affected by the wildfires on Maui.
- Hurricane-driven wildfires devastated the island of Maui yesterday, razing much of the historic district of Lahaina.
- The death toll has now risen to 36. My coconut wireless predicts it'll be well into the hundreds in the days to come.
- Three large fires are still active on Maui, including the blaze in Lahaina.
- I checked with my mom and uncle today, we have four family members in Lahaina. Everyone is ok and their home is still standing.
Maui Strong Fund: As per their site: "The Maui Strong Fund was created to provide community resilience with resources for disaster preparedness, response, and recovery. The fund is currently being used to support communities affected by the wildfires on Maui."
Why it matters: Paubox was created in Hawaii. This is our backyard.
The bottom line: The Hawaii Community Foundation has been an important charitable force in Hawaii for 107 years. We believe they are well suited to quickly aid those in need on Maui.
Get involved: click here to donate to relief efforts via the Maui Strong Fund.