The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in February 2021.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network server breaches ranked first (as it has for many months) with 688,037 people affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with 299,661 people affected.
- Desktop breaches ranked third with 116,902 people affected.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email and network server breaches were the most common vector type, with 14 breaches each in February.
- Paper/film breaches were the third most common with 4 total breaches last month.
As we have seen in many previous months, data breaches via networker servers continue to affect the most people, and email breaches continue to be a common attack vector.
The Kroger Co. had the largest breach in February 2021 with 368,100 people affected via a network server. BW Homecare Holdings, LLC, in its capacity as the parent corporation of the Elara Caring single affiliated covered entity had the second-largest breach with 100,487 people affected via email.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals, as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in February 2021.