HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked the highest with 573,482 people's PHI hacked or stolen in May. Network Server rose a spot from last month's report, where it ranked second.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 189,978 people breached. Email rose a spot from last month, where it ranked third in the category.
- Desktop Computer breaches came in third with 43,911 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Electronic Medical Record ranked as the lowest number of people's PHI being breached in May with 1,357 breaches.
- Other was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 7,211.
- Paper/Films was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 10,986.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email again took the top spot as the most common breach type in May with 9 reported breaches.
- Paper/Films came in as the second most common breach type with 7 breach incidents.
- Network Server came in third with 6 reported breaches in May.
TakeawaysFor the third consecutive month, Email ranked first for Breaches Ranked by Occurrence. It was a busy month for Network Server HIPAA Breaches, with nearly 600K people's PHI breached. The bulk of that was via a breach by LifeBridge Health, Inc: 538,127 individuals were affected. In what is a recurring theme for the HIPAA Breach Report, the data clearly shows email continues to be a proven entry point for malicious actors.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in May 2018.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox. Start for Free today.