This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Email breaches again ranked first with 509,132 people's protected health information (PHI) being affected.
- Network Server breaches came in second with 368,345 people having their PHI breached.
- Electronic Medical Record breaches came in third with 54,612 people having their PHI breached.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot again as the most common breach type in this month's report with 29 reported breaches. That's the most breaches in a single month for a given breach type in the past 36 months, if not longer.
- Network Server came in a distant second with 8 breaches in June..
- Desktop Computer placed third with 5 reported breaches.
Paubox has been compiling a monthly HIPAA Breach report since June 2017. During that time, we've never seen 29 breaches of any type recorded in a single month. The total number of reported breaches also hit a new plateau (of sorts). We saw a record high 50 breaches reported in June, more than double from the previous month's total of 23. The largest breach attributed to email was by Merit Health Insurance Company, who suffered a breach of 102,748 individuals' data.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in June 2020.