The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in March 2021.
This report will cover:
- HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
- HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
- Full Data
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network server breaches ranked first (as they have previously), with 2,346,170 people affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with 520,059 people affected.
- Other breach types ranked third with 17,919 people affected.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Network server breaches were the most common attack vector in March 2021, with 36 occurrences.
- Email breaches were the second most common, with 11 breaches.
- Paper/film breaches were the third most common, with 5 total breaches last month.
Data breaches via network servers continue to affect the most people and continue to be a top attack vector. Email breaches and attacks are a close second.
Health Net Community Solutions had the largest data breach in March 2021. 686,556 people were breached via a network server. Health Net of California had the second-largest breach. A network server attack affected 523,709 people.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals, as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in March 2021.