The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the HHS in April 2019.
Table of Contents:
- HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
- HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
- Full Data
- About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked in first place with 483,946 people's PHI affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 92,816 people breached.
- Electronic Medical Record breaches came in third with 35,000 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Laptop ranked as the lowest number of people's PHI being breached in April with 810 breaches.
- Other was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 7,651.
- Paper/Films was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 19,198.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot as the most common breach type in April with an astounding 17 reported breaches. Email has taken the top spot in this category for 12 of the past 14 months.
- Network Server came in second with 11 breaches.
- Paper/Films came in third with 5 reported breaches each in April.
TakeawaysEmail remained in the top spot for HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence in this month's HIPAA Breach report. Network Server retook the top for HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected. The data continues to produce overwhelming evidence that Email remains the most vulnerable attack vector for HIPAA breaches in 2019. This is also the same pattern we saw and reported on in 2018.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).