Last week we received an email with the following Subject line: question about migrating from Virtru to Paubox
In the email, the potential customer asked,
I'm evaluating alternative HIPAA compliant email solutions for a client who I currently have using Virtru. Do you have a how-to guide or migration documentation that goes into what to expect when moving from Virtru to Paubox? Thanks for your help
Since we've also gotten requests like this in the past, we figured it would be a good idea to put together a how-to guide on moving from Virtru to Paubox. In this guide, here's what we'll cover:
- What is Virtru?
- What you'll need to migrate from Virtru to Paubox
- Sign up for Paubox
- Disable Virtru plugin
- 4-step Paubox setup
What is Virtru?
Virtru is an email encryption and digital privacy company. The company was started in 2012 and is headquartered in Washington, DC.
What you'll need to migrate from Virtru to Paubox
For the purposes of this guide, we will assume the following:
- Your underlying email host is Google Workspace
- Of our four HITRUST CSF certified solutions, you want to use Paubox Email Suite in place of Virtru
The steps we'll cover are similar even if you have Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange. With those assumptions in mind, here's what you'll need to migrate from Virtru to Paubox:
- Admin access to the Google Workspace admin panel
- Ability to edit your DNS records
Sign up for Paubox
To get things started, you'll need to sign up for a Paubox account. You can easily get started in minutes with a free 14-day trial here.
Disable Virtru plugin
Since Paubox makes sending and receiving encrypted email so easy, you won't need plugins any more, or worry about employees having to make a decision if an email needs to be secured.
According to Virtru's documentation, the Virtru Gmail or Google Workspace Chrome extension can be easily disabled by opening your Chrome browser, entering chrome://extensions in the address bar, locating the Virtru extension, and then clicking on "Remove".
4-step Paubox setup
Although it may seem daunting, moving from Virtru to Paubox can be done in a few simple steps.
- Domain: Update the one record in your Domain Host to add Paubox
- Google Workspace: Update the outbound gateway to Paubox
- Paubox Dashboard: List the email addresses for secure sending, and upload your org’s logo (optional)
- Test: Send us a test email and we’ll confirm you’re sending securely with encryption!
With more and more customers switching from Virtru to Paubox, one concern that can be crossed off the list is if the process is difficult. You can experience the difference yourself.