Email Segmentation added to Project Orca
by Hoala Greevy Founder CEO of Paubox
After launching v1 of Project Orca on Christmas day, we quickly went to work gathering customer feedback.
One of our founding principles at Paubox is that we use customer feedback as a roadmap of what to build and when to build it.
Project Orca is no different. We must pay attention to our customers’ business problems in order to further improve the solution.
As such, I’d like to thank an early adopter, The Queen’s Health Systems, for their request to incorporate segmentation into Project Orca.
What is Segmentation in Email Marketing?
Segmentation can be thought of as the separation of email subscribers into smaller groups based on certain criteria.
Segmentation is typically used as a personalization tactic to deliver relevant email marketing to subscribers.
In healthcare, examples of personalization can include:
- Geographic location to drive Population Health outcomes
- A medical condition so that different departments within a large organization can send HIPAA compliant marketing campaigns to their own group of patients
- An upcoming appointment via Secure Patient Outreach
In a nutshell, healthcare digital marketing managers find email segmentation powerful because they can cater to different patient groups, rather than creating one mass message for all.
Project Orca is our solution to the need we see in the market for HIPAA Compliant Email Marketing.
To provide context, here’s several macro trends in healthcare:
- The HIPAA industry is vast and its growth is accelerating
- Due to technical and regulatory complexity, a majority of email marketing vendors have no interest in signing a Business Associate Agreement, let alone providing HIPAA compliant email service
- As such, Email Marketing in US Healthcare largely does not exist
- The market however, repeatedly asked us to provide it
- So we went and built it
How Project Orca got its name
Early on, we needed a codename for our project. I chose Project Orca because I love being in the ocean and the Orca sits at the top of ocean food chain.
We’ve been fortunate thus far that our early adopter customers also like the name.
So we’re sticking with Project Orca and we’re going to outrank all other derivatives of it.