HIPAA and email are serious subjects for anyone in healthcare. Read our blog and find out four steps to HIPAA compliant email. Discover what you can send your patients in email and how to send it so you don’t violate the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
- Why is it important to send HIPAA compliant emails?
- What happens if I send an email to a patient and it’s not HIPAA compliant?
- What does HIPAA consider protected health information (PHI)?
- Is it too risky to email patients because of HIPAA?
- How can I send email that is HIPAA compliant?
- Four steps to HIPAA compliant email
- Stay safe and use a secure email provider
- Healthcare email security concerns?
- Are you in healthcare and concerned about digital security?
Why is it important to send HIPAA compliant emails?
HIPAA compliant email is important because patient health information is confidential and should not be shared without the patient’s consent. If patient health information is sent via email without proper security measures in place, it could be accessed by unauthorized individuals.
What happens if I send an email to a patient and it’s not HIPAA compliant?
- Patient information can be accessed, or “hacked,” by unauthorized users. That puts your patients at risk to have their private information exposed on the web.
- Penalties for healthcare organizations and providers who send PHI that is not HIPAA compliant include fines and possible jail time.
What does HIPAA consider protected health information (PHI)?
PHI is made up of a list of unique identifiers. Use our graphic for a quick cheat sheet to stay in the know of what needs to stay encrypted in HIPAA compliant emails.
Is it too risky to email patients because of HIPAA?
No, you can send HIPAA compliant email safely. If you use a secure email provider, safely sending an email to patients with PHI is just like using your normal email. In the same way you wouldn’t drive a car without a seatbelt, healthcare providers need to take simple steps to send email securely. Staying safe when sending HIPAA compliant email is as easy as buckling up in a car when you use a secure email provider.
SEE ALSO: To be or not to be HIPAA compliant
How can I send email that is HIPAA compliant?
Four steps to HIPAA compliant email
- Use a secure email service: A secure email service encrypts emails so that only the intended recipient can read them. This helps to secure protected health information (PHI) from being accessed by unauthorized individuals. Choose a service that integrates easily with your existing email platform.
- Make sure the secure email service provider you choose signs a Business Associate Agreement (BAA).
- Ask for your patients’ permission to email them through an opt-in notice.
- Enjoy seamless HIPAA compliant communication without the need for portals or passcodes.
Stay safe and use a secure email provider
It is easy to work with a secure email provider, and the risks are too high not to do so. HIPAA violations are becoming all too common. Paubox Email Suite makes sure that 100% of the email sent from your organization is secured and HIPAA compliant. Far too many health organizations don’t take the risk seriously until it’s too late. Rest east with Paubox and stay ahead of the curve.
There is no better solution on the market than Paubox to keep email HIPAA compliant and secure while making it effortless for you and your patients to communicate with simple email.
Are you in healthcare and concerned about digital security?
Paubox technology is HITRUST CSF certified, patented and provides the most advanced HIPAA compliant email solutions available. Paubox solutions are designed to be effortlessly easy to implement and use. In fact, Paubox is securing 70,000,000 HIPAA compliant emails each month for over 4,000 healthcare customers and has a 4.9/5 G2 rating.
Whether you are a large hospital or a standalone clinic, Paubox has the right email product to keep your data, organization and patients safe.