Today’s Paubox Weekly is 436 words - a 2 minute read.
1. Is Google's Bard HIPAA compliant?
Bard is an artificial intelligence system designed to engage in natural, human-like conversations. However, its use in healthcare settings raises questions about its compliance with HIPAA regulations.
What they're saying: "To help Bard improve while protecting your privacy, we select a subset of conversations and use automated tools to help remove personally identifiable information."
Is Bard covered by Google's BAA?
2. Meta claims hospitals are to blame for Meta Pixel HIPAA violations
In response to a number of lawsuits alleging that its Meta Pixel tracking tool violates HIPAA, Meta has claimed that the hospitals that use the tool are the liable parties, not Meta.
What happened: The Meta Pixel was being used on the websites of hundreds of hospitals and was collecting patient data, including their names, medical conditions, and appointment dates.
3. Senators introduce Rural Hospital Cybersecurity Enhancement Act
In a landmark move to bolster cybersecurity in rural healthcare, U.S. Senators Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) and Gary Peters (D-Mich.) have introduced the Rural Hospital Cybersecurity Enhancement Act.
Why it matters: The act could significantly improve the cybersecurity posture of rural hospitals by addressing the shortage of skilled cybersecurity professionals.
Significant cybersecurity gaps at rural hospitals
4. What is the Minimum Necessary Standard?
The Minimum Necessary Standard aims to limit the access, sharing, and use of confidential patient information to the least amount of data needed to accomplish the intended purpose of the disclosure.
Why it matters: It balances the need for healthcare professionals to share information for effective patient care and the importance of maintaining patient privacy and confidentiality.
The standard is applied in multiple scenarios
5. Application deadline: 2023 Paubox Kahikina STEM Scholarship
The deadline to apply for the 2023 Paubox Kahikina STEM Scholarship is Wednesday, May 31st.
What's happening: The primary objective of the Paubox Kahikina STEM Scholarship is to encourage Native Hawaiians to pursue careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
- A software guide for new therapy practices. Link
- How often should HIPAA training be conducted? Link
- How often should you send a HIPAA compliant email newsletter? Link
- MedEvolve settles HIPAA investigation with HHS Office for Civil Rights. Link
- HIPAA compliant WordPress hosting: A comprehensive guide 2023. Link
- NextGen faces lawsuit after a massive data breach. Link
Good reads from around the web
- FBI confirms BianLian ransomware switch to extortion-only attacks. Link
- We don’t have enough doctors. Link
- Seniors got COVID tests they didn't order in Medicare scam. Could more fraud follow? Link
- SEIU Healthcare files antitrust complaint against UPMC. Link
- Infamous pharma company founded by Shkreli files for bankruptcy. Link