HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Desktop Computer breaches ranked the highest with over 300,000 people's PHI hacked or stolen in July.
- Network Server breaches ranked second with PHI of over 200,000 people breached.
- Email breaches came in third with 60,770 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Paper/Films ranked as the lowest number of people's PHI being breached in July with 3,463.
- Other breaches ranked second lowest at 9,220.
- Electronic Medical Records were the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 13,068.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email came in as the most common breach in July with 12 reported breaches affecting 500 or more people's PHI.
- Network Server came in as the second most common breach type with 5 incidents.
- Electronic Medical Record came in third with 4.
The Least Common
- Other came in as the least common breach type in July with 2 reported incidents.
- Paper/Films and Desktop Computer came in tied with 3 reported breaches each in July.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in July 2017.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox.