The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in July 2020.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches again ranked first with 948,858 people’s PHI being breached
- Email breaches came in second with 180,180 people having their PHI breached
- Paper/Films breaches came in third with 80,928 people having their PHI breached
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot again as the most common breach type in this month’s report with 14 reported breaches
- Network Server came in a close second with 9 breaches
- Other placed third with 4 reported breaches
Much like last month, there were more breaches attributed to email than a network server. The largest two data breaches of July 2020 however, were from a network server.
The largest breach in July 2020 was by Florida Orthopaedic Institute and affected 640,000 individuals and the second largest was by Behavioral Health Network, Inc. and 129,571 individuals were affected.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in July 2020.