Table of Contents:
Rick Kuwahara and I took Chenoa Farnsworth out to lunch earlier this week at Fête in Honolulu. Five years ago, Chenoa and Blue Startups trail-blazed East Meets West, a conference that’s now gathering traction around the Pacific.
Our primary objective for the meeting: How do we level up our Paubox SECURE conference?
East Meets West
EMW positions itself as the startup event of the year in Hawaii.
Paubox SECURE is a digital health security conference that brings together leaders in healthcare, cybersecurity and innovation.
It is a unique event that drives learning and discussion around the challenges of IT security in healthcare.
- Balancing Mobility With End User Security | Paubox SECURE 2019
- Vetting Your Vendors: Certifications & HIPAA Compliance | Paubox SECURE 2019
- Creating The Perfect Healthcare IT Security Stack | Paubox SECURE 2019
The Ia salad
Here are my takeaways from our lunch with Chenoa:
- “The international startup community knows Us because of East Meets West.”
- Try to Fill the keynote spot(s) first
- Live streaming is very tough. Not worth it
- Has not seen much impact from FB ads (as far as ticket sales go)
- “I’m all for getting out of the building. As much as possible.”
- Book speakers at least six months out
- Getting big names first helps a lot. Helps with recruiting other speakers, tickets sales, and sponsor sales
- Building hype and FOMO is important
- Cultivate the speaker relationships. Organize events that encourages them to talk to each other.
- Hotel blocks are tough. Too much hassle & stress
- The speakers themselves will push and promote the event
- Event experiences are key. Shared experience like stand up paddling, ATV riding, and surfing.
- Sponsorships are crucial from a revenue standpoint