This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Email breaches ranked in first place with 299,270 people’s PHI affected.
- Other breaches ranked second with PHI of 148,715 people breached.
- Electronic Medical Record breaches came in third with 107,180 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Desktop Computer ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached with 4,151 breaches.
- Laptop was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 7,358.
- Paper/Films was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 34,875.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email retained the top spot as the most common breach type in this month’s report with 18 reported breaches.
- Network Server came in second with 7 breaches.
- Paper/Films and Electronic Medical Record came in tied for third with 5 reported breaches each.
Email took top spots in both categories for this month’s HIPAA Breach Report.
In fact, Email has ranked first in the HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence category for 14 of the past 17 months.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in August 2019.