The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the HHS in August 2017.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked the highest with over 442,411 people’s PHI hacked or stolen in August. That’s up over 100% from last month’s total of 202,197.
- Desktop Computer breaches ranked second with PHI of over 117,738 people breached.
- Electronic Medical Record breaches came in third with 35,841 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Laptop ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in August with 1,272.
- Other breaches ranked second lowest at 13,229.
- Paper/Films were the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 13,851.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Network Server came in as the most common breach in August with 6 reported breaches affecting 500 or more people’s PHI.
- Email came in as the second most common breach type with 5 incidents. That’s less than half of last month’s total of 12 reported breaches.
- Desktop Computer and Other came in third with 4.
The Least Common
- Laptop came in as the least common breach type in August with 1 reported incident.
- Electronic Medical Record came in the second lowest with 2 reported breaches in August.
- Paper/Films rounded out the bottom with with 3 reported breaches in August.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in August 2017.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox. Start for Free today.