The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in December 2020.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network server breaches ranked first (as with previous months) with 2,043,297 people affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with 2,032,868 people affected.
- Paper/films ranked third with 19,281 people affected.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Network server breaches are the most common vector type, with 17 breaches in December.
- Email breaches are the second most common type. There were 14 email breaches in December.
- Paper/films were the third most common type with 10 breaches.
As with last month, network server breaches are the top vector type and continue to affect the largest amount of people.
MEDNAX Services, Inc. had the largest breach in December 2020. 1,290,670 people were affected via an email breach. Dental Care Alliance, LLC had the second-largest breach. 1,004,304 people were affected via a network server breach.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals, as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in December 2020.