Using the Google Admin Console, you can configure outbound encryption for a select group of users. Here’s how you do it.
Setting up Outbound Encryption on G Suite – For Selected Groups
Part I: Setup groups
- Go to the Google Admin Console.
- Click the Groups icon.
- Click the plus button at the bottom right corner.
- Name the group (ie. “Paubox encrypted senders”).
- Give the group an email address (ie. “firstname.lastname@example.org”).
- Set Access Level to Team.
- Click Create.
- Click on the group email address.
- Click on Manage users in “Paubox encrypted senders” (or your created group name).
- Add the users that will use Paubox encryption to the group by listing their email addresses in the Add new members textbox. Then click on the Add button.
Part II: Setup Routing
- Go back to the Google Admin Console.
- Click the Apps icon.
- Click on the G Suite box.
- Click on the Gmail icon.
- On the following screen, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on Advanced settings >>.
- Click on the Hosts tab at the top of the screen.
- Click on Add Route on the right side of the screen.
- Type Paubox in the name section.
- Select Single host for the email server drop down option and enter outbound.paubox.com in the Enter host name or IP section. Enter 587 to the right of the colon.
- Check the box for Require secure transport (TLS).
- Click the SAVE button.
- Click on the General Settings tab at the top of the screen.
- Type Routing in the Search settings bar.
- Hover over the Routing section and click on the Configure button at the right of the screen.
- Enter Paubox for the description.
- In Messages to affect, select Outbound and Internal – sending
- In Envelope filter, check the box for Only affect specific envelope senders.
- Select Group membership (only sent mail) from the drop down menu.
- Click on Select groups and enter “Paubox Encrypted Senders” (or your group name)
- In For the above types of messages, do the following, select Modify message from the drop down menu.
- Check the box for Change route and select Paubox from the drop down menu.
- Click the SAVE button.
- Click the SAVE button again at the bottom right corner of the screen.
That’s all there is to it.
Congratulations! You have successfully used the Google Admin Panel to create a list of select users within your organization that will use Paubox encrypted email as their smart host gateway for outbound, HIPAA compliant email.