HIPAA Breach Report for March 2019
by Hoala Greevy Founder CEO of Paubox
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the HHS in February 2019.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Network Server breaches ranked in first place with 1,529,114 people’s PHI affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 438,421 people breached.
- Desktop Computer breaches came in third with 100,000 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Laptop ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in February with 2,763 breaches.
- Paper/Films was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 5,880.
- Other was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 6,000.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Network Server took the top spot as the most common breach type in February with an 13 reported breaches.
- Email came in second 8 breaches.
- Desktop Computer and Paper/Films came in tied third with 3 reported breaches each in February.
Network Server made a strong showing in this month’s HIPAA Breach Report. It displaced Email in both Breaches by People Affected and Breaches Ranked by Occurrence.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in February 2019.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox. Start for Free today.