HIPAA Breach Report for March 2018
by Hoala Greevy Founder CEO of Paubox
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the HHS in February 2018.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Paper/Films breaches ranked the highest with 117,873 people’s PHI hacked or stolen in February. This is the first time we’ve seen Paper/Films take the top spot since we started compiling the HIPAA Breach Report back in July 2017.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 8,451 people breached. For the second month in a row, Email retained its #2 rank in this category.
- Network Server breaches came in a relatively close third with 6,550 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Other ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in February with 2,204 breaches.
- Desktop Computer was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 5,257.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Paper/Films, Other, and Desktop Computer all tied for first as the most common breach types in February with 3 reported breaches each.
- Email came in as the second most common breach type with 2 incidents.
- Network Server came in last for third with 1 reported breach in February.
Paper/Films took the dubious top spot as the highest ranking breach vector for people’s PHI to get stolen or lost in February 2018.
Email ranked second for both HIPAA breaches ranked by people affected and for breaches ranked by occurrence. This is the second consecutive month Email has ranked second in both categories.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in February 2018.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox. Start for Free today.